BSN Student Scholarship: Progression in Nursing
INTRODUCTION TO SCHOLARSHIP
Kevin Keaney P.C. is an Oregon-based law practice. Kevin Keaney is licensed in both Oregon and Washington. The firm has extensive experience working with nurses. Kevin Keaney represents nurses with nursing license violations and defense, employment law, whistleblowing, and contract law and agreements. Kevin Keaney is a former nurse, and Cathy Baker Keaney is a current nurse. Both Kevin and Cathy understand the hard work nurses at all levels of education plus certified nursing assistants, perform and the value that they contribute to their families, patients, health care organizations, and communities.
In today’s dynamic health care environment, nursing affords a variety of opportunities and career options to its licensees. This scholarship is a means to assist men and women currently in nursing-related health care occupations in Oregon to further their nursing education and aspirations.
- Must be at least 18 years or older and have successfully completed a state-approved training program as a CNA, LPN, or ADN with a current license or certification.
- Must have worked in a nursing occupation in Oregon as a CNA, LPN, or ADN for at least two years. Provide two references from current or former employers on employer letterhead.
- Must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program through an accredited school or program, and in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Must submit evidence on nursing school letterhead from one faculty member demonstrating formal acceptance into a BSN program and evidence of successful completion of at least one academic term with the current GPA. The faculty member also needs to recommend the applicant for consideration of the scholarship.
- Write two essays up to a maximum of 500 words each addressing:
a. Your experience in a nursing occupation and how it prepared you for a career as a Bachelor’s prepared RN.
b. Describe your intended career path and what you envision your future contributions to the field of nursing to be.
- Must complete and submit the application form in its entirety by the May 1st of each year deadline.
Application and Award Process
- The application will be reviewed by Kevin Keaney and Cathy Baker Keaney of Kevin Keaney P.C. The winner will be selected based on the criteria set forth in the requirements section of this document.
- The winner will be notified by no later than July 30th of each year of the award. The recipient will receive a mailed 1099-MISC tax form and the check will be made payable directly to the scholarship winner and delivered to the University attended by August 10th of each year.
- The winner of the scholarship award will be fully responsible for the taxes incurred from receiving the award.
Please provide the following information to be considered for the upcoming Annual Progression in Nursing BSN Student Scholarship.