Health Professionals’ Services Program – Self-Referral

Do you need to consult with an attorney regarding your nursing license or other professional licensing matter? Call (503) 232-9280 to schedule a free consultation with a nurses attorney.

In 2010, the OHA (Oregon Health Authority) put a Health Professionals’ Service Program (HPSP) in place to monitor nurses and other health professionals who have a substance abuse disorder and/or a mental health disorder.

As a nurse in Oregon, you can be referred to the HPSP by the OSBN, or you can refer yourself to the program, which provides monitoring services that combine support and accountability.

Your participation in the HPSP program is completely confidential, and information is only released after you’ve signed a consent form (with the exception of certain circumstances dictated by state or federal law).

The HPSP’s monitoring includes:
•weekly reporting
•random toxicology testing
•oversight of your treatment (whether it’s for substance abuse or mental health)
•worksite monitoring
•safe practice evaluations
•medical review officer oversight

To qualify for the HPSP as a self-referral, you must have a diagnosis of substance use disorder and/or mental health disorder.

If you refer yourself to the HPSP and complete 4 years of monitoring, (including 2 years of supervised practice), and comply with all of the terms of your monitoring, you’ll successfully complete the program without any nursing board involvement.

If you complete the HPSP, there will not be any public record against your license; whereas, if you were put on probation by the OSBN, this would be a public document that is posted on the OSBN website.

For information about self-referral to the HPSP in Oregon, call us at (503) 232-9280, or e-mail .

Please make note: Kevin Keaney has over 30 years experience as an attorney, as well as 6 years experience as a practicing nurse.  He helps nurses in Oregon, Washington, and Texas with nursing license defense issues.

Kevin Keaney is licensed to practice in Oregon and Washington, as well as Texas, where he can also help nurses who need an attorney.